Monday, March 30, 2009

The Answer to the Question....Well, my answer anyway...

A special thanks to all who prayed for my student last week. She was at school Friday unharmed and safe. Praise to God for His protection and hearing the prayers of His children.

I said I would talk more about this. To be honest, I'm not really very sure that I'm qualified to. I've wrestled with whether or not to approach this subject because of my own uncertainties concerning it. But, if nothing else, I feel I need to be honest with the people that read this. So here goes nothing...

People are always asking this, no matter how many answers we come up with. "Why does God allow bad things to happen to good people?" Why do two loving people who want children so badly have to deal with a miscarriage? Why does a man who loves his family and loved by everyone have to be taken by cancer? Why is it that even those who do everything that they are supposed to do experience tragedy and heartache?

I won't be so arrogant as to say that I know why or that my answer should settle the matter once and for all. But what I can share with you are some thoughts that I have (at times) found comforting. I'll be honest, even saying I believe these things, I don't always act like I do. And in the midst of a tragedy, chances are these are the first things I'll forget. But they are things that, whether I actively take stock in them or not, are true.

First of all, when it comes to tragedy, I need to consider my perspective. When Job felt like he had enough misery and told God as much, God's response was "Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?" (Job 38:4) Now, this is just Bransonology, but I like to think that God's tone here is not so much "How dare you speak to me like that" but more so "Oh Job, my son, You just don't see what I can see." Either way, the point is valid. God has a much more informed perspective on how the world works than we do, considering He created the world. So when God allows bad things to happen, it is because from where He sits, He understands that ultimately allowing this thing to happen will be better for everyone in the long run.

And we may never understand exactly how that works out. I'm reminded of the fable of a butterfly beating its wings and ultimately starting a tornado. The butterfly has no way of knowing how something as simple as beating its wings will eventually cause a cataclysmic storm that can destroy everything it touches. The butterfly may not even be near the storm when it occurs. But that doesn't change the magnitude of the effects of its beating wings. Likewise, we may never get why God allows what He does in this world. But that doesn't change the fact that He is doing it for our benefit. Remember, we're creation #1, His favorite, His masterpiece. Anything He does to us or allows to happen to us, whether pleasant or painful, is for our benefit.

This isn't even close to all I want to say about this topic, but I want to keep these posts down to a readable size. I'll talk more about his next time. Meanwhile, remember that we don't see what God sees, and if He allows something to happen, it is because the alternative would be so much worse.

Feel free to comment or ask questions. I'm always here.

Keep Soaring,

B

2 comments:

  1. "The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things that are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law."(Deuteronomy 29:29) That verse means more and more to me everyday...It is so good to know that I don't have to figure out why, I just have to trust in Him, and obey what He has revealed to me in His written Word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if this makes as much sense to you, but it does in my head. Speaking of butterflies, I'm reminded of a story where a little boy wants to "help" the butterfly come out of the cocoon. But the butterfly needs to flap and builds its wings so it can survive. Yea, the beating of the wings is hard, but its what the butterfly needs. And if the boy "helped" it out without him having to flap, then it wouldn't turn out good for the butterfly. Anyways, thought that was interesting. Love you!

    ReplyDelete